Thursday, July 4, 2013

Bush Meat

Sunday, June 9, 2013

I’ve been trying to make a point of it to snap photos of the food I eat since African cuisine is obviously unlike anything we eat back home in the US, but I am normally too hungry to remember to care about photography before I house a plate of food. However, on this day I finally remembered to use my camera before eating.

Below, is a picture of “bush meat and plantains.” Plantains are just like bananas—They are yellow in color, have the same shape, and often grow in the same places. But plantains are different in the sense that they are larger, thicker, and taste less sweet than bananas.


As for “bush meat,” well, the definition is not so clear-cut like that of plantains. “Bush meat” simply means that it is the meat of an animal that comes from the “bush,” or forest. One person told me that bush meat comes from a porcupine; another told me it comes from a monkey; and another told me it comes from a deer. So, as you can see, I’m not sure anyone really knows what animal they are eating when they “chop” bush meat, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that bush meat is delicious, especially in a country where meat is scarce and expensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment